INGREDIENTS 3 slices (1/2-inch-thick) rustic white bread 2 to 3…
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream plus more for brushing the top
1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
Turbinado sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a measuring cup mix together vanilla extract and 1 1/3 cups cream. Drizzle cream mixture over dry ingredients and stir as you pour. Fold in strawberries and knead until the dough is cohesive but not sticky. Add a little extra cream is necessary.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently knead the dough on a floured surface and form into a circle about 3/4″ thick.
- Use a small biscuit cutter or juice glass to cut small circles from the dough. Brush each circle with cream and sprinkle generously with turbinado sugar.
- Bake on baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes about 2 dozen mini scones
Recipe Inspired by King Arthur Flours